MBA / MSc Degree in Management
The primary purpose of this MBA / MSc Degree in Management and Commerce is to prepare students to become innovative and dynamic managers in a broad range of private and public organisations.
Furthermore, the purpose is to foster strategic, innovative and entrepreneurial thinking in a local and global business context. Finally, the competencies developed will enable students to critically analyze and solve complex business problems in the dynamic local and global business environment.
Objectives / Graduate Profile
The postgraduate student who completes the degree will be able to;
- Possess a knowledge framework which encompasses diverse perspectives and disciplines within management to understand the complexity of managing an organisation in a changing business environment
- Have an understanding of how the acquired theoretical knowledge can be put into practice. Will possess a critical awareness of discipline-based concepts and approaches to analyse and master contemporary management problems
- Have an in-depth knowledge and insight in specific management-related areas
- Have the ability to acquire and analyse data and information, to evaluate their relevance and validity and to synthesise a range of information sources needed to develop a comprehensive understanding of rapidly changing national and international business environment
Professional and Employment Opportunities
The MBA Graduates will have opportunities at senior management level and board level in local and international business entities.
To be eligible for admission to this program an applicant must possess one of the following qualifications and a good working knowledge of English;
- A Bachelor’s Degree including 30 credits in Business Administration / Public Administration / Commerce / Human Resource Management / Marketing / Accountancy / Finance / Estate Management and Valuation / Business Economics / Operations Management / Management Information Systems / Economics etc
- A Bachelor’s Degree in any subject area from a recognised University with three years’ post-qualifying relevant experience
- A Postgraduate Diploma of not less than one year in Management
- A Postgraduate Diploma of not less than one year in any other field with two years of relevant experience
One of the following professional qualifications with three years post-qualifying relevant experience.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants (ACA) – Passed Finalist
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) – Passed Finalist
- Association of Chartered & Certified Accountants (ACCA) – Passed Finalist
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) UK – Postgraduate Diploma
- Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB) UK – Associate Member – Diploma
- Chartered Institute of Bankers (AIB) Sri Lanka – Associate Member – Diploma
- National Diploma in Technology (University of Moratuwa)
- Institution of Engineers (CIE) UK / Sri Lanka – Associate member or above
- Sri Lanka Advance Technological Institute (SLATI) – Higher National Diploma in Accountancy (HNDA) (Four Year Course)
- Sri Lanka Advance Technological Institute (SLATI) – Higher National Diploma in Management/ Commerce (HNDM/C) (Four Year Course)
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators – Member
- National Diploma in Engineering Sciences (Institute of Engineering Technology, Katunayake)
- Attorney – at – Law
One of the following professional qualifications with five years’ post-qualifying relevant experience.
- Diploma in Marketing awarded by the Sri Lanka Institute of Marketing (SLIM)
- Professional qualification in Human Resource Management from the Institute of Personnel Management
- Completion of NVQ level 7 (B. Tech.) with a minimum of GPA of 3.0